With the recent social distancing practices forced on all of us by the coronavirus pandemic, most of our lives have been completely disrupted. And that includes your physical therapy treatments. We don’t want pain and mobility problems to be added on top of all your other concerns.
That’s why we’re proud to offer online physical therapy to clients who want help from expert physical therapists but from the comfort of their own homes! You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to get started, even if you’re not tech-savvy. More importantly, we’re sure you’ll be satisfied with how effective “telehealth” physical therapy can be for most aches, pains, and other musculoskeletal conditions that we normally see in our clinic.
If you’re a current patient at Gotham PT, we can pick up right where we left off. If you’re a new patient in search of some help at a time when most PT clinics are shuttered, welcome! Let’s get started!
Check out the video below for more information. Also below are answers to frequently asked questions about Online Physical Therapy.
Do I need specific software to get started?
- We use a software called Doxy. It’s totally secure and HIPAA-compliant. The best part is you don’t need to download anything or sign up for anything. Before the appointment, we’ll send you our special link. All you have to do is click the link and you’ll be taken to a “virtual waiting room” where you’ll wait until your PT begins the appointment.
What equipment do I need at home?
- All you need is an internet-enabled device with a front-facing camera, such as a smartphone, laptop, or desktop computer. A smartphone would be preferable because we may ask to you move it around so we can see other things.
- Home exercise equipment would provide more options for treatment, things such as elastic resistance bands, step stools, dumbbells, kettlebells, etc. However, we will make do with what you have. That’s the art of physical therapy.
How does physical therapy work if you can’t do hands-on assessments and treatments?
- We have always believed that the pillars or physical therapy are advice, education, activity modification, and therapeutic exercise, and research consistently shows that those things are the best treatment options for most musculoskeletal conditions. While hands-on therapy may feel good, it’s effects are usually non-specific and temporary and it doesn’t have much of a bearing on the long-term outcome. It’s a “nice to have” but not necessary for successful treatment.
- Yes, assessing your condition can be a bit more difficult without actually touching you but most of the information a physical therapist uses to diagnose is gained from what you tell us.
- The BEST part about treatment like this is you REALLY learn how to manage your condition and help yourself without becoming dependent on someone else to “fix” you.
Can you treat my condition via online physical therapy?
- Most musculoskeletal conditions can be effectively treated via online physical therapy. During our first session we will determine whether we can help you or not. If we decide we cannot effectively treat your condition we’ll refund any fee we’ve collected and recommend you to somewhere else. Better yet, if you have any questions just call us, email us, or request a phone consult with a physical therapist.
Do I need a referral from a physician?
- As with all physical therapy services in New York, we can see you without a physician’s referral for up to 30 days or 10 visits, whichever comes first. After that time, you will require a referral to continue.
Is this covered by insurance?
- As of right now, most insurance plans do not cover online physical therapy visits. That may be changing rapidly as the demand increases due to the coronavirus. As a courtesy, we will check your insurance plan for you and we recommend you check as well.
- If your insurance doesn’t cover online visits we can still work with each other via cash-pay options.